|How to Sync Your Menstrual Cycle with the Moon Cycle|
|By Jing J.|
According to our recent poll, 99% of women menstruated on the new moon in their last menstrual cycle. That’s 412 women out of the 423 women who participated in the poll. Looks like many of us are synchronizing our menstrual cycle with the moon cycle after all.
You’ve probably heard that in ancient times women menstruated together on the new moon and ovulated on the full moon. I’m delighted to know that the powerful connection between the moon cycle and the menstrual cycle is still very strong today.
Syncing your menstrual cycle with the moon cycle is wonderful in many ways. If you have an irregular period, it’ll help to regulate it. Moreover, it will help you to get in touch with your natural rhythms, and live your life in harmony and in flow.
Here are some tips I’ve learned on how to synchronize your menstrual cycle with the moon cycle…
1. Get up at the same time every day, no matter what time you go to bed.
2. Make your bedroom completely dark, free of any blinking or glowing light from your alarm clock, cell phone, or other electronic devices. I also close my curtains after dinner. So when I’m ready for bed, I’m not exposed to any artificial light in my bedroom.
3. Go outside and take a 20 to 30-minute walk every day without sunglasses. My new favorite routine is to sit under the sun and let the warm and gentle morning sunlight caress me while having my breakfast.
4. Sleep with a 100-watt light bulb next to your bed from day 14 to 17 of your cycle (around ovulation). Do this for 6 months. In one study of 2,000 women, more than 50% regulated their previously irregular periods to a regular cycle of 29 days by using this method.
5. Use full-spectrum light bulbs (2,500 to 10,000 lux) at home. Expose yourself to ambient full-spectrum light for half an hour to an hour every evening or every morning. This is also a great way to help alleviate depressed moods, especially during the winter months.
It's portoble and it provides soothing, glare-free light.
6. Swallow the moon energy around the full moon. Simply face the moon when it’s just rising and gently breathe in the lunar energy, swallowing it. It’s recommended that you do this 30 times. And the best time is from the new moon until five days after the full moon, when the lunar energy is most powerful.
7. Track your menstrual cycles. Cycle Harmony’s free Period Calendar allows you to track your menstrual cycles and identify the moon phase during each day of your cycle.
8. Create your moon rituals around the new moon and the full moon. Honoring the moon cycle and your menstrual cycle can be as simple as lighting a candle.
Cycle Harmony member Vild shared her experience, which I think is really beautiful. She said, “My favorite one is when I can see the full moon – I go outside and sit on the ground. I bathe myself in the moon rays and sing with the moon. I concentrate on the connection between the moon and myself, and feel how purifying and strengthening this link is. These moon celebrations leave me feeling whole, and fill me up until the next one.”
What have you learned about the connection between your menstrual cycle and the moon cycle? Please leave a comment and share with us.
* Thanks Kavana.org for this beautiful image.